Thursday, December 30, 2010

DAY TWO

December 29th, 2010

First night in the hospital was an adventure, trying to manipulate the wonderful "waffle weave" bed to try to get comfortable while navigating all sorts of wires and monitors. I think we have started to get the hang of it and the only solution we have really found is to be still....very very still.

I have to be monitored every 8 hours for almost a full hour, so it really isn't as bad as having to be hooked up 24 hours a day. Down side is one of the monitoring times starts at 5:00am and it depends on how cooperative the babies are being as to how long I have stay on the monitors. Both babies, especially Baby Girl thinks it is hilarious to run from the monitors, hit or kick them out of the way and be generally non cooperative. A preview of what is to come I'm afraid!

A lot of people have asked how restrictive is "hospitilized bed rest"? The level I am currently on includes:
1. Bathroom privelege - a.k.a  - I don't have to use a bed pan or have a catheter - "allelluhia"
2. One shower a day - a.k.a  - I don't have to have Micah or one of the friendly nurses sponge bath me  - "praise the Lord"
3. I am allowed one wheel-chair trip a day on the unit, meaning just around the Labor and Delivery Floor, not to any of the other floors (again something about that crazed Flight Risk look i must portray to the staff)
4. The nurse wheels me across the street to the Doctor's office once a day so they can conduct the Doppler Scan which checks the level of restriction in the cord. The nurse and I call this a field trip and I look forward to this little bit of fresh air. The appointment is pretty quick and then its back to the old bed again. I think I have built up a nice rapport with my day nurse, I might try slipping her a $20 spot tomorrow to make the "field trip" a little longer - maybe I nice trip by the gift shop or the cafeteria. I will let you know how it turns out...

Meanwhile..pics from DAY TWO and some other views from my bed:




very very unattractive photo, but shows an accurate view how unpleasant things were at the time :)





























View of the wonderful TV/VCR combo...tried to hook up a DVD player, no luck




Micah's bedroom set up. He opted for the aerobed we had from home over the "waffle weave" mattress, don't know why? So sweet, he has slept here each night.  I have told him told him a million times to go home and get some good sleep, but he insists. He is the best hubby and father I could of ever asked for!





 
Very pretty flower arrangement I received to brighten my day!!!






 Results at the end of Day 2 looked good. I went from a 6.9 down to a 3.9 (without getting too technical, this is the number that we want to see drop, meaning less restrictive flow to the Baby) so dropped by half. The rest and the steriods are definitely helping!!!
 
Someone told me today that for everyday ONE day I keep the babies in the womb it is THREE less days they stay in the NICU. This will be my mantra from here on out. It is so important for me and Micah to keep them in as long as possible at whatever means possible, even if it means brown gravy hospital food (FYI - Micah loves it...really he does) and REALLY uncomfortable beds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

newer older home