Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Finding a new normal

 Things will never return to the way they used to be. Our lives were changed forever when we lost Beaux. Each day is full of two different pulls - grieving and loving all at the same time. Through this daily struggle of joy and loss we have to find a "new normal". We refuse to drown in the grief and must move forward for Charlotte, ourselves and for Beaux.

We are getting used to our new "normal" here at the Hatley household. We are still learning the in's and out's of having a newborn and getting to know the many quirks of Miss Charlotte. A few things we have learned already:

#1: Must place new diaper under dirty diaper to make the switch, 9 out of 10 times she is going to "go" mid diaper change. Not sure how many times we have washed the changing table cover, but it is almost in the double digits!


#2: This child eats like a horse. She gets fiesty when she is still hungry and lets you know by letting out a big growl/grunt. Don't you dare take her bottle or boob away until she says so!

#3: She does not like to be alone. Can newborns really like to be part of the crowd? I would have highly doubted it before I met Charlotte. She can be chillin' in her Mama-Roo or bassinet and if Micah and I leave the room, she lets out this scream as if to say, "What about me, I want to go". The moment we come back in the room she is fine. She is like yours truly in this respect....she doesn't want to miss out on a thing!
"Lottie" taking in a little Regis and Kelly.

I went to my first "back to normal" activity last night. Micah stayed with Charlotte so I could go to a meeting,  he did great - I am so lucky and grateful to have a husband that participates without hesitation or fear in our daughters life. He watched her again today while I went to the Doctor and they have another date tomorrow night. Speaking of dates....Micah and I are going on a date this weekend! First night out in a LONG LONG time.

6 comments:

Lindsey Lenig said...

Great post....We are still thinking of you guys all the time. AND I am getting more and more excited to meet this little girl and hang out with you guys!!

M said...

Still praying for you both everyday. Miss Charlotte "Lottie" has already stolen my heart, she could ask her Aunt Mel for the moon and I would find a way to get it for her! You two are doing an amazing job as parents. Charlotte is one lucky little girl. Love and hugs to you both.

Blake-Leigh said...

I too, love this post. If I could figure out a way to spare you the "life lesson" of balancing grief with joy, I'd do it in a heartbeat! You and Micah not only gave Beaux life, but you gave his life meaning and dignity. Your selflessness is to be commended. It's an honor to know you both. "Baby Charlotte" is such a blessing and the sweet, sweet icing on the cake...what a precious little pink gift!

brookes said...

Look at those cute piggies in the last pic (and Piggy wears fatherhood well)! Y'all are doing an amazing job of being open and honest; wouldn't have expected anything less from 2 awe-inspiring people. We love the Hatleys so much--to the moon and back.

Unknown said...

Eric and I have been thinking and praying for y'all...Charlotte is so so sweet and perfect. Sending our love and support and can't wait to meet her soon!

Kristen Kirsh said...

That picture is adorable!!

Post a Comment

newer older home