Wednesday, January 5, 2011

DAY NINE

 January 5th, 2010


Since I did not have much energy yesterday for the blogging world, I have a lot to fill you in on. A lot for my world that is....

First off, a hospital happenings update: I received the most worldly of possessions last night from my night Nurse, Kara. Wait for it.....wait for it.....its a ......REMOTE CONTROL!!!!!!!!!!

 This is the ONLY one on the Labor and Delivery floor. Since the other units in this hospital have flat screens and DVD players, it is essentially the only one of its kind in this whole hospital. This is really going to change my life in this room. Before I had crank my arm up around the bed rail and press this little TV button to change the channels. You can only change the channels forward, not backwards, so if you want to go back to a particular channel you had scroll through all the channels. So say I was on channel 42 and wanted to get to channel 3, I had to push the TV button 39 times to get there. Needless to say I wasn't watching much TV before hand.

Another exciting event that really cracked the Nurses up was that I received mail today. Courtesy of Lindog, I received two packages from Amazon. My day nurse, Amanda, came in and said in the time she has been here, she has never seen a patient get mail. I am officially a resident!


Inside were two books - both look to be really inspirational and I am excited to get started on them! Thanks Lin!
Secondly, a baby update: Not much has changed. The babies are cooperating on the monitors so I have just been on monitoring every 4 hours for the last few days now. The heart rates are looking good and they are moving around a lot. I get to go on a "field trip" tomorrow to the Dr. office and we will look at the Biophysical profile and restrictive flow again. Pray for a good number, it was a 4.5 last time, we want that number to either stay the same or better yet lower.

Yesterday we met with the Neonatalogist and had a really good conversation with her about what to expect from these babies when they are delivered. As she told us several times, it is really hard for them to predict what (if any) major struggles that they will be up against once they are delivered, but best to be prepared for what it could be like. Since they will be born before 37 weeks we have to look at their lung/respiratory functions and their feeding/eating/sucking skills. Those will most likely be the main things they struggle with at the beginning. So, basically we know that realistically our babies will spend some time in the NICU, how long is unpredictable at this point. Again, the longer they stay in the womb the shorter their stay should be in the NICU.


I also wanted to give a shout out to Micah (even though he told me not to). He has been so wonderful balancing the house, laundry, work and court all while making about a million trips back and forth to the hospital. Not an easy task and really stressful. I think he was hitting the wall yesterday, but after a much needed nap he was ready to rally. I could not ask for a better husband and father for our children - love you Micah (he is truly embarassed now)


Watching the Sugar Bowl from his rocker

1 comment:

brookes said...

Mail at the hospital?! Its like being at camp!!! And how is it possible there's only one remote? Was it a prison hospital before? (I'm totally kidding--I know how good they're treating you there.) Keep on keepin' on! You can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!! Grow, baby boy, grow!

Post a Comment

newer older home